Employee Assistance Programs
In today’s increasingly pressurized work environment, fostering employee emotional health, well-being and work/life balance are key for a productive and engaged workforce. National trends indicate that a number of issues are impacting the workplace and ultimately, your company’s bottom line. Consider the following:
- Close to 30% of employees state they are stressed at work and less productive.
- An estimated one million workers miss work each day because of stress, costing companies an estimated $602 per employee per year.
- 26% of employees state that personal issues and concerns impact their focus at work.
- Over 10% of employees state that mental health issues like depression and anxiety limit their work productivity.
- Depression leads to 200 million lost workdays each year, resulting in an estimated cost of more than $23 billion in lost productivity annually.
- Close to 70% of all active drug users are employed and active in the workplace.
Employees Assistance Programs (EAPs) play in integral role in providing both employers and employees with the resources needed to help address these type of issues.
What is an Employee Assistance Program?
Employee Assistance Programs – or EAPs – are employer-sponsored programs that are designed to alleviate employee work/life issues due to emotional health, substance abuse, personal problems, and workplace challenges. These programs strive to improve employee productivity and organizational performance. A comprehensive EAP not only offers personal and immediate support to individual employees with mental health or workplace problems, but also provides consultation to management and leadership on a wide range of workplace issues impacting employee, organizational, and management health and performance.
EAP Services for Management
EAPs focus on giving management the support and resources necessary to get employees performing at their best. Management Consultation Teams are available 24/7/365 to provide guidance, problem solving, and help with performance issues, crisis situations, and violence prevention. Consultations can cover topics including:
|Drug/alcohol use, including DOT compliance||Crisis management and response|
|Job performance issues||Interpersonal conflict in the workplace|
|Communicating difficult messages||Workplace harassment and bullying|
|Diversity issues||Organizational change such as reorganization or downsizing|
|Emotional or behavioral health issues||Erratic behavior in the workplace|
EAP Service for Employees
EAPs provide a number of services to covered employees (and their family members) on a 24-hour, 365-day a year basis via a toll-free HelpLine. Assistance, short-term counseling and support is available on a comprehensive range of issues, including:
EAP Value and Expected Return of Investment
- Research shows that employees who use EAPs experience positive changes in their work performance, such as having fewer days late or absent, higher levels of work productivity, and improved work team relations.
- Dozens of applied studies have demonstrated that EAP services can produce positive returns for purchasers in direct cost savings from reduced medical, disability, and workers’ compensation claims and even more savings from reducing indirect business cost losses related to poor work performance.
- The typical ROI is $3 or more for every $1 dollar invested in the EAP.
Would you like to explore implementing an EAP as part of your total compensation & benefit plan? Get in touch with us! Simply complete the form on the right-hand side of this page and we will have an EAP specialist contact you.